Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cheap Way To Hang Photos

Our living room only has three walls. One of them is a half wall that has stairs on the other side of it, one has two windows next to each other and then only about 3ft of wall on the left of the windows. The other is long and white and bleh. So, to decorate it as cheaply and as awesomely as possible (lol) I will be hanging some fun pictures of us, our friends, and our family. I'm just using some fun snapshots from over the years and new ones along the way. Instead of buying tons and tons of frames I'm using styrofoam. Styrofoam? Yes.

Here's what you do:

All you have to do is buy a sheet of styrofoam (about $6 at hobby lobby) and cut squares out of it. Then you just glue or tape on the foam squares to the back of your photos. You only need one rectangle of foam for 4x6 and 5x7 photos and two in the middle or one on each corner for an 8x10 or larger. Then all you have to do is use those little bitty nails and put them in the wall and just put the foam right on the nail. If the photo is going horizontally I suggest one square on each end to keep it straight. You can even use paper frames like they use in scrapbooking to put around the edges of the pics if you want them to be more decorative. You can also cut the squares to be thinner if you want them closer to the wall or vary the thickness to add some contrast to the photos.

Here's an example:



I actually painted this picture on a small canvas I bought at WalMart. I'm not too happy with it but my hubs likes it so, in the bathroom it goes! lol This is straight on.

Here's one from the side:



I had actually made a 2008 out of styrofoam to use for senior photos for a friend so I just cut that up to use for the squares.

1 comment:

ListPlanIt said...

I like your painting. I did quite a lot of paintings for my childrens rooms on canvas with wrapped edges (no staples). I don't paint much now, but I truly enjoyed the creative outlet.

Jen
http://www.listplanit.com